Saturday, September 15, 2007

ETSY question

Some people have been asking about the durability of my felties in the interest of using them on apparel, so I did a little experiment to test out the felt I use:

This first picture is a piece of felt with various yucky things on it - from left to right, we have ketchup, soy sauce, mustard, syrup, chocolate syrup, orange Gatorade.



Then I let it dry outside for about 6 hours, cut half of it and washed the bottom half. I used Dial hand soap and a toothbrush. (Since I waited a while for the stains to set, the lighting a bit different. The first was shot with natural sunlight, and the second in my kitchen under fluorescent lights.)



The stains came out pretty easily, though the chocolate needed some extra coaxing to finally come out. I think rubbing it with the toothbrush kind of made the felt "hairy" - if I hadn't used it, I think the felt wouldn't have been so fuzzy after its cleaning.

So, there it is. I don't want to say either way whether or not I would recommend my felties on clothing. I guess it depends on how long you expect it to last, or how messy the wearer is going to be!

Hope that helps!

No comments: